The invention of the GPS forever changed the ease of travel. It not only gives you step-by-step directions, it calculates your anticipated time of arrival and offers you ways to avoid traffic. If you miss a turn, no big deal, it simply adjusts to find the best detour and provides you with an alternate route to get to your destination. On the road to realizing your dreams, there is much to be learned from this nifty little invention.
Here are 10 driving tips on the road to your dreams:
1. Set your destination. Unless you know your destination, a GPS will not be much use to you. You must choose a destination! This is not to say you can’t change direction at any time, it just means that in order to receive guidance about where to go, you must begin by choosing a direction to head. (By the way, there is of course not a thing wrong with a joyride, as long as you don’t feel any particular urgency to get anywhere in particular.)
2. How soon would you like to get there? How fast are you moving? Take into account how fast you’re able to travel for a steady distance, and when you would like to arrive. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll get there. With a bit of planning, you’ll be able to easily assess when to set out on your journey and what to pack.
3. Refuel. Give yourself extra time so you can stop along the way to refuel. Part of enjoying the journey means allowing time for pit stops, detours, and fueling stations.
4. Hands on the wheel. Remember, YOU are in the driver’s seat. It’s YOUR journey. Don’t drive the wrong way down a one-way street, but do make it your own. You were not put on this earth to live others people dreams, you’re here to live yours.
5. Enjoy the ride! Half the fun is getting there. Life is about the journey not the destination. However trite that may sound, it’s true.
6. Many hands make for lighter work. If it feels daunting to go it alone, find others who are heading in a similar direction, or have been there, and ask for help. Someone who can see your blind spots. Teamwork makes the dream work. Together we really are so much more.
7. Pace yourself. Detours are part of the journey, so it’s best if you plan for them and build in some extra time and resources. Knowing its there will give you added confidence.
8. Eyes on the road. Glance in the rear-view mirror periodically, but keep your primary focus on what’s in front of you. Your past does not determine your future. Keep your eyes on the road. Know where you’re headed and keep move forward.
9. Celebrate. Celebrate each milestone along the way, knowing that every mile counts. There will always be new horizons and milestones ahead. Don’t forget to celebrate.
10. Don’t quit. Don’t doubt and question whether or not you’ll get there! Just keep going… Energy spent on doubts and fear and worry only slows you down, kind of like having one foot on the gas and the other on the break. Fear is along for the ride, but it belongs in the trunk- not the driver’s seat.
The road ahead:
Ready to hit the gas on creating your dream life?
Claim this special FREE video training: “9 Simple Powerful Strategies to Accelerate the Realization of Your Dreams” and you’ll be on your way!
Put on your dream acceleration seat belt!
Here’s to the road ahead,