That time I lost $18,000
I called it a leap of faith. But in retrospect it was foolish.
A few years back, I made a bad financial decision.
I paid $10,000 to have someone run ads for me. I told myself that I was investing in something that was going to help me grow my business, to reach and ultimately serve more people. I assumed her shiny advertising, financial claims, and willingness to take my money (er, I mean, take me on as a client) meant next level success for me was inevitable.
On top of paying her $10,000 fee, I, of course, had to pay too for the ads themselves. Meeting over Zoom each week, for months, she gave me weekly updates on the “testing” of various ad campaigns that she and her team were doing on my behalf, always implying that my ROI was just around the corner. Welp, another $8,000 later, I pulled the plug. I sent her an email and asked for a refund on “services” that not only resulted in zero ROI, but an $18,000 LOSS.
Her reply? She blocked me on all social media channels and stopped taking my calls.
I contacted the Better Business Bureau. I spoke to lawyers.
And quickly learned that I had little recourse. A tough pill to swallow.
Determined to get SOME value out of the experience (which felt not only like a financial failure but also a painful and costly loss of time), here were my two biggest lessons learned:
1.) I gained a lesson in discernment. Instead of asking the hard questions, like, “what does my business need in order to grow?” and “what kind of support will best help me do that?”… I hoped, and chose to bank on the idea that throwing money at something would be the solution. I wanted to believe that making big business investments and bold moves made me some kind of brave “big leap” hero human boss.
But the truth is, I was avoiding work I very much needed to do and very much wanted to skip over. In hiring her, I had (attempted to) outsource. But what I actually did was give away the reins. I am responsible for that mistake. Seeking expert support is one thing. Handing over the reins to someone for a “Done For You” service that takes you out of the loop of your own business’ leadership, is foolish. The same is true for your life.
2.) This experience taught me what kind of support I actually needed. I needed someone who would partner with me, ask the tough questions, challenge me, teach me, and help me organize systems and strategies that work for me. Trial and error, getting in the arena, being willing to endure some growing pains, ALL required. This cannot be outsourced. But – having someone who is there for my questions, who prompts me to go further than I ever would on my own, who provides me with expertise that isn’t my own, who offers a sounding board for ideas, who recommends tweaks, edits, and ”try again”s, and who – especially when all I can see is what’s right in front of me – has the foresight, experience, and clear plan for how to navigate what’s just around the bend. INVALUABLE.
Having someone on my ‘Dream Team’ who holds the space for me when I bump up against my comfort zone, who teaches me what’s needed when the limits of my own knowledge leave me unsure, cannot be calculated. Bottom line: I needed to do the work AND hold the reins. But – I didn’t need to do it unsupported. Success becomes inevitable when you have the right support.
It’s scary to do the work that makes all the difference.
It’s challenging to learn new skills and let go of old habits.
It can be hard to take responsibility for mistakes, and even harder to course correct.
But, I’m also here to say that the right support makes it all worth it. It’s the one clear way to ensure your results – your joy, your happiness, your dreams, your needs, your desires, your survival, your THRIVAL.
And that’s WHY I spent that money. Because I know and understand that investing in yourself (and in your business) is so powerful and important. But – with so many options and offers out there, the biggest challenge can be finding the support that is right for YOU.
Finding the right support
The right support is not about just finding a quick solution or someone else solving your problem. It’s about widening your own lens and holding yourself accountable to taking the next step. It’s about showing up for what you say you want, even when it’s hard. It’s about understanding why you haven’t been able to create a result before, with the resources that you have.
For me, for example, a Facebook ad wasn’t going to get me to the next level of success if what was really needed was improved messaging. Do you see what I mean?
There are FIVE ELEMENTS that make private coaching with me a unique and powerful combo.
As you read each one, I invite you to consider: How might this help YOU get to the next level of your own success?
(1) Energy management – Learn why ‘time management’ is not the answer, and what to do instead. I provide you with the exact tools, teachings, and strategies to stop feeling scattered and like you don’t have enough time for the things you want to do. I’ll be there to help you understand and apply this pivotal approach, do a comprehensive ‘energy inventory’, and support you through every step of its implementation so that you can free yourself from time constraints and experience next-level personal freedom.
(2) “Brule” breaking – “Brule” is slang for bullshit rules. Brules are blind spots, and what makes them so hard to see is that they hide in plain sight! For this reason, brules typically go unnoticed and unquestioned. I literally wrote the book on the subject and I promise, I’m going to help you see them. There are countless brules. But, even ONE single brule breakthrough has the power to positively impact absolutely every area of your life. Once you start seeing them, once you start seeing the blind spots that’ve been holding you back, you won’t be able to unsee them. And this changes ev.er.y.thing.
(3) Dream acceleration – Dreams are the voice of your soul. Together, we will unlock your access to hear this voice with beautiful clarity and see your way to the truth of what you REALLY want. From there, I will guide you through a proven process to create it. Simple, fierce, supported. You’ll be on track, fast.
(4) Thought work – As obstacles pop up, you’ll have steadfast support on your side to do the inner work to stop self-limiting beliefs from running the show so that you can take back the wheel, moving forward while being kind to yourself.
(5) Behavior mod – My psychology education, training, and experience is deeply rooted in behavior modification. I’ll teach you proven techniques to overcome your fears, activate your courage, and build powerful new supportive habits that stick!
When you become a private coaching client of mine, all of these get rolled into one totally customized-to-you experience!
The right support is what makes ALL the difference.
It’s the difference between achieving your dreams and always wondering what could have been.
It’s the difference between finally seeing your blind spots, awakening to a new kind of freedom, and continuing to struggle to make a change.
It’s the difference between having breakthroughs you celebrate, and having fear and resistance run the show.
It’s the difference between consistently showing up for what you want and endlessly ruminating about what you want.
It’s the difference between momentum and celebration, and stagnation and frustration.
Wanna experience this for yourself? Click here